wg-multicast - Multicast and 9/11

Subject: All things related to multicast

Multicast and 9/11

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: MbonedD List <>, Internet 2 mail list <>, Prashant Rajvaidya <>, tech team <>
  • Subject: Multicast and 9/11
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 19:54:07 -0400

Dear Friends of Multicast;

I hope that every one out there is OK. We have a team member stuck in
Arizona, but otherwise have no losses.

There was an amazing burst of multicast activity starting on 9/11 and
continuing to today.
This can be seen in
http://imj.ucsb.edu/mantra/session-mon/session-mon.html
I think that there is an important message here
On Tuesday morning after the attacks EVERY Internet news site I could get to
melted down. I could not load any of the
static sites. I also could not get any
unicast streaming site, and yet we could still get cnn by multicasts. I got a
deluge of e-mails on Tuesday, and many New Yorkers
could not get radio or TV and asked for where they could get news on the
Internet. All I could say is that, if you can multicasts,
here are these sites up.

Multicast worked at a time when most of the rest of the Internet melted down,
and people turned to it.
This is a fact. I think that this is worthy of
publication, and I intend to pursue this. I would therefore request :

1) The experience of the people who put up news reflectors (or who have them
full time) during the last week.
Especially interested in personal experiences and also in audience sizes.
2.) Any personal experience of people using multicast for news or other
support during the last week.

I of course would also be glad for any other suggestions or first hand
reports.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624 Fax : 703-293-9609
e-mail :

http://www.on-the-i.com

Test your network for multicast : http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
Check the status of multicast in real time :
http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html

  • Multicast and 9/11, Marshall Eubanks, 09/13/2001