wg-multicast - Re: Why not 911/411 type of service over Multicast?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Why not 911/411 type of service over Multicast?

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: William Caban <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: Why not 911/411 type of service over Multicast?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 19:02:20 -0400

William Caban wrote:

> Hi Everyone:
>
> ---------
> First, sorry if this is not the right place to post this message.
> Please, let me know.
> ---------
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has the same, probably crazy, ideas as I do.
>
> I was thinking on the advantages multicast can offer when disasters
> occurs
> and everyone want to reach their family or see the news. For example,
> on
> Tuesday morning it was very difficult to do a phone call to NY but the
> network infrastructure was there, free. Personally that was the only
> way I manage to reach family and friends there during the morning hours.
>
> Also, sometimes it it was just impossible to access unicast video
> streaming
> over the internet. I don't have a TV with me but a laptop.
>
> Why not take a known group of ports (ie. 911, 9110-9119 {I don't know if
> they
> are in use by other apps.}) and create "multicast-groups" on different
> multicast
> address for video and audio so that organizations such as the American
> Red Cross
> can use them to intercommunicate families simultaneously, and news can
> be "broadcast"
> over a particular multicast "channel" (port)....
>
> Imagine 300 person calling their family, they need 300 phones or calls
> and they only
> hear them. On a single multicast address you can allocate much more...
> True, you need
> 300 mics. and/or cameras but that can be a simple embedded wireless
> device and they
> can talk and see them. This can be a very valid, interesting and useful
> research (I'm sure
> someone is working on that).
>
> Also, I really think a single 12Mbps stream with the news is much better
> than a
> thousand 128Kbps concurrent stream. Imagine 100 news station and a
> thousand
> users on each one on unicast, now imagine the same 100 news station and
> the same
> thousand users on multicast. Its 12Mbps versus 120Mbps.
>
> --- sorry if I'm dreaming but I think multicast based services should
> move to higher
> level and that the current multicast is ready for prime time.
>
> -----------
> Again, sorry if this is not the right place to post this message.
> Please, let me know.
> -----------
>
> --William Caban

Dear William;

I think that there were a number of multicast news sites.
CRC TV
NCAST TV
cnn from nwu.edu

We have put up an audio news reflection on Channel 4 - here is the sdp as it
is not up on the site or on sdrmon (yet).

o=- 30000000 30000 IN IP4 63.105.122.177
s=On-The-I.com Channel 4 160kbs MP3 Audio
i=MP3 audio - iptv compatible
u=http://www.on-the-i.com/listen

p=703-293-9601
t=3181579002 3208580622
a=type:broadcast
a=tool:msad v0.5
m=audio 7000 RTP/AVP 14
c=IN IP4 233.64.133.40/255

Believe me, we have had serious discussions here about sourcing audio and
video news feeds on a full time
basis - we're talking to people tomorrow about this very subject.

See my next e-mail for more.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
Multicast Technologies, Inc
10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Phone : 703-293-9624 Fax : 703-293-9609
e-mail :

http://www.on-the-i.com

Test your network for multicast : http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/
Check the status of multicast in real time :
http://www.multicasttech.com/status/index.html