wg-multicast - Re: Yet another broken multicast at Columbia

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Yet another broken multicast at Columbia

  • From: Tom Pusateri <>
  • To: Bill Nickless <>
  • Cc: Alan Crosswell <>, ,
  • Subject: Re: Yet another broken multicast at Columbia
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:06:22 -0700

In message
<>
you write:
>At 10:35 PM 8/8/2001 -0400, Alan Crosswell wrote:
>>So I guess it's something funky going on with the way auto-rp works which
>>I thought was PIM-DM which is why the router interfaces have to be
>>configured in sparse-dense mode.
>
>Sparse-dense mode is implemted (to my knowledge) only by Cisco.

Juniper also supports sparse-dense mode. There is a slight difference.
On a cisco, if there is no RP for a group, it falls back to dense mode.
On a juniper, you must specify the dense mode groups and if a group
doesn't have an RP and it isn't listed as a dense group, the packets
are dropped. This prevents unexpected flooding when the RP list
isn't getting distributed correctly.

Thanks,
Tom