wg-multicast - Re: what to put in multicast boundary access list

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: what to put in multicast boundary access list

  • From: Toerless Eckert <>
  • To: Amel Caldwell <>
  • Cc: Toerless Eckert <>, Alan Crosswell <>,
  • Subject: Re: what to put in multicast boundary access list
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:45:45 -0700

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 03:27:32PM -0700, Amel Caldwell wrote:
> Do you know what group 225.1.2.3 is for? I was snooping around some WWW
> sites
> and noticed it was one (if not the most popular) in terms of SA entries. I
> noticed this is true on my routers as well, so went looking to find out what
> it was by doing a Google search and it looked like a lot of different apps
> put
> that address in as an example.

Well, i guess that's something where it's difficult to recommend an action.
What we can recommend to the community to block ist just if we have
a well known application that by way of being popular is monopolizing
an address to a degree that you'd rather not want to have your valid session
use that address (beccause your traffic will then be drawn to all those
applications receivers), or where your receivers are getting traffic from
those sources. With a fuzzy culprit it's difficult to recommend to
avoid the address "There's a witch on road 224.1.2.3 in the forest" -
"Show me the bones" ;-))

Cheers
Toerless