wg-multicast - Re: IPv4 multicast best current practice I-D

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: IPv4 multicast best current practice I-D

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Bill Nickless <>, , , ,
  • Subject: Re: IPv4 multicast best current practice I-D
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 10:44:24 -0400

Michael Luby wrote:

> In the PIM Sparse Mode section:
>
> Within a PIM Sparse Mode domain, the standard PIM Sparse Mode
> mechanisms are used to build shared forwarding trees and source
> specific trees from IPv4 multicast sources to interested receivers.
> IPv4 multicast sources are registered with the PIM Rendezvous Point
> (RP). Interested IPv4 multicast receivers make their group interest
> known through the Internet Group Management Protocol, and the
> associated PIM Designated Router (DR) sends PIM Join messages
> towards the RP to build the appropriate forwarding trees.
>
> In the ASM model, PIM Sparse Mode Rendezvous Points have to co-
> operate in order to discover active sources and set up forwarding
> trees. MSDP is used to spread the knowledge of active sources
> within a multicast group. PIM-SM source-specific joins are used to
> set up forwarding from sources towards the interested receivers. No
> inter-PIM-domain shared forwarding tree is created.
>
> The last part of this first paragraph is specific to ASM, yet this paragraph
> is written as if though it applies to IPv4 multicast in general. There is
> no RP for SSM, there is no need for MSDP, etc. The second paragraph is
> good, as it specifies what happens with ASM using MSDP and the RPs, etc.
> However, it seems logical that there should be a third paragraph for SSM
> that parallels this second paragraph for ASM, that says specifically there
> is no need for MSDP and RPs are not used and the forwarding tree is set up
> directly from the source to the receivers using PIM-SM (or PIM-SSM)
> source-specific joins.
>
> In the MSDP section, it should be specifically noted at the top that the
> bulk of this section only applies to ASM, and specifically SSM does not need
> (and should not use) MSDP. Most of this section is ASM specific, and it
> should be specifically called out which parts apply to ASM and which parts
> apply to SSM.

Mike;

I will have comments on the draft soon; but these are my comments on your
comments.

>From the PIM v2 spec
draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-01.txt
--------------------
o A router MUST NOT forward packets based on (*,G) or (S,G,rpt) state.
The (*,G) and (S,G,rpt) -related state summarization macros are NULL
for any SSM address, for the purposes of packet forwarding.

o A router acting as an RP MUST NOT forward any Register-encapsulated
packet that has an SSM destination address.

The last two rules are present to deal with "legacy" routers unaware of
SSM that may be sending (*,G) and (S,G,rpt) Join/Prunes, or Register
messages for SSM destination addresses.

Additionally:

o A router MAY be configured to advertise itself as a Candidate RP for
an SSM address. If so, it SHOULD respond with a Register-Stop message
to any Register message containing a packet destined for an SSM
address.
-----------------
I would say that for the foreseeable future, domains will be BOTH ASM and SSM.
I would also say that these domains will thus have to deal both with RP's and
with
cross-domain traffic that potentially has ASM traffic in the ISM space. I
would therefore recommend that the BCP explicitly include these details on
what
to do with RP's in the SSM space.

I would also say that the BCP for SSM should be that inter-domain SSM is only
done
in the 232/8 address range, and that other SSM uses are restricted to the
administratively
scoped domain 239/8. Otherwise, SSM address discovery will rear its ugly head.

--
Regards
Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks