wg-multicast - Re: Multicast button available

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast button available

  • From: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • To: Tony Rimovsky <>
  • Cc: mbone mail list <>, Ip multicast <>, Internet 2 mail list <>, Marty Schoch <>, Scott Williams <>
  • Subject: Re: Multicast button available
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:10:25 -0500

Sure;

The genesis of this was the VirginJamCast multicast button (actually
a windows only downloadable
executable). I mentioned the existence of this at the mboned meeting at
the 49th IETF, and
everyone seemed to think that this would be a good thing. People felt
that way internally here too,
so we made it. The only real hassle was the certificates required.

It uses native java code running in the browser virtual machine. It
tries to
join a group (the version on our website tries to join one of ours, but
this is easy to
change and any group with > 1 packet per second would do). If after a
brief wait period
it receives packets, connectivity is known; if not, it assumes there is no
connectivity. This result is used to direct the user to one of two web
pages - connected
or not connected. These can, of course, say anything you want in html.

Our experience is that if you are going to get multicast traffic from
a group, you
start getting it pretty fast. Obviously, our approach lends itself to
false negatives (if
there is no group data when you try it, due to congestion, say), and
does not address
partial connectivity (for certain ASs, but not others, say). What we
were aiming for was
something simple enough that you could tell a naive user to do it over
the phone
and get a meaningful result.

We used java running in the vm so that the button ran totally on the
user's machine,
but without requiring a download (and for some platform independence).

There is no direct reporting of results back to a central site. (Of
course, whoever
maintains the web servers will know which IP addresses accessed the button.)

Marty may want to add something as he did the code.

Marshall

--

Regards
Marshall Eubanks