wg-multicast - Re: PIM-only backbone routing?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: PIM-only backbone routing?

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Bill Nickless <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: PIM-only backbone routing?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:05:13 -0400

At 17:46 -0500 10/9/00, Bill Nickless wrote:

At 06:26 PM 10/9/2000 -0400, Bill Owens wrote:
The big question, though, is whether it would work at all. Has anyone
tried this sort of thing? Does it seem to make sense?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Bill.

Yes, the plan you laid out can be made to work.

However, if you're going to go to the trouble of running M-BGP and PIM-SM
everywhere, I am confused as to what you gain by NOT running MSDP. You're
already accepting the burden of PIM-SM protocol operation, which means a
relatively late version of router code. You're already accepting the
burden of M-BGP, which means an additional requirement for memory
(proportional to the number of NLRI=Multicast routes) in each of your
routers. And with both of those you're already accepting a requirement for
configuration tasks in your backbone core and at each of your customer sites.

Actually, we're not going to run MBGP either; the idea was to have just PIM-SM within NYSERNet's own network and our customers'. Some of our customers have routers that can't be upgraded to support the full troika, others have too much work to do to get to that point quickly, etc. This configuration is similar to what a lot of people are probably running internally, but they're using PIM and an IGP, where we want to use PIM and unicast-only BGP, plus IGP's within the customers' networks.

The most immediate downside that I can see is that you're stuck with a
single RP for all of your customers. Problems related to
single-point-of-failure come immediately to mind. Without thinking too
hard about it, I'm afraid you'll have to manually(?) maintain some ugly
access control lists so your RP knows what prefixes it should advertise.

If the access lists have to contain our customers' prefixes, that isn't too bad; we have only a few, and most have just a couple of big blocks (they're network old-timers ;)

The configuration you outline makes this problem much harder
to solve, since the problem of MSDP SA generation could be inside your
backbone or at your customer site.

That could be a significant troubleshooting problem. Right now we don't have any network monitoring equipment in the backbone to see whether sites are doing the right thing. My understanding of PIM is too fuzzy to know whether it would be possible to diagnose this by looking at the PIM state of the backbone routers that the customers connect to. . .

Bill.