wg-multicast - PIM-only backbone routing?

Subject: All things related to multicast

PIM-only backbone routing?

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To:
  • Subject: PIM-only backbone routing?
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 18:26:26 -0400

I have been given a multicast routing problem to solve for NYSERNet, and I am hoping to get some hints on it. We currently have a native ATM backbone, so those NYSERNet sites that are running native multicast just have it flowing across their PVC's to Abilene. However, we're contemplating a project that would replace our ATM switches with routers, and therefore enable/force us to be involved in the multicast routing.

The problem is that we need to do this with fairly minimal configuration. I'm casting about for solutions that will allow us to implement some subset of functionality soon and give us reasonable capability in the short term, then fill in the rest later. I've gone over the Connecting Multicast Domains draft, looked at a few other configurations, and come up with the following.

Our plan has Juniper M20 routers at both ends of our network, connecting to Abilene in NYCM and CLEV. The new backbone routers would be connected between those Junipers, and our customers connected to them. For unicast routing, the Junipers and the new backbone routers will be in one AS, and each of the campuses will each have their own, EBGP peering with us. Most of the campuses run OSPF internally, some have EIGRP (and one has RIP ;)

For multicast, one of the Junipers would peer with Abilene using MSDP and MBGP, and run PIM-SM, and act as an RP for both the backbone routers and the customers. I *think* that both the backbone routers and the customers' edge routers could run just PIM-SM with the Juniper as the RP. So in crude ASCII terms, a customer's connection would look like this:

--------- ------------- -------- ---------
| Abilene | EBGP | Juniper M20 | IBGP | NN | EBGP | NN Cust |EIGRP
| GSR |--------| (Buffalo) |--------| Router |--------| Cisco |--->
| CLEV | MBGP | *RP* | PIM-SM | | PIM-SM | 75xx |PIM-SM
PIM-SM

Since the Juniper is the RP for the entire network, it would know about all our sources and could advertise them with MSDP. I think that would allow us to avoid using a multicast default router internally, but I'm not sure. I also think that we would be able to peer with external multicast networks through our other Juniper as well, so long as it used the Buffalo RP, but I'm not sure of that either.

I know that this configuration is not the most efficient, and would also require that campuses that desire to have internal multicast sources run their own RP just for those groups, and we'd have to delegate some portion of the adminstratively scoped space to them. At some future point, probably driven by the pace of multicast adoption within our community, we'd upgrade to the more conventional configuration and run MBGP/MSDP at the customer connections as well.

The big question, though, is whether it would work at all. Has anyone tried this sort of thing? Does it seem to make sense?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Bill.