wg-multicast - Multicast uses other than video

Subject: All things related to multicast

Multicast uses other than video

  • From: Ted Hanss <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Multicast uses other than video
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:55:38 -0400

Is anyone using multicast for an application other than video distribution? At the last Internet2 member meeting I asked that question and there were some campuses using multicast to distribute OS images to workstations, but I didn't write down any of the names of the schools. There are corporate networks that use multicast for data distribution, but we're seeking examples from higher education.

I'm asking as George Brett is putting together a NLANR-supported workshop and he wants to include examples other than video from our community. So, please pass any pointers on to me or George ().

Thanks.