wg-multicast - Re: PowerQuest DriveImage

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: PowerQuest DriveImage

  • From: Hugh LaMaster <>
  • To: Multicast WG Internet2 <>
  • Subject: Re: PowerQuest DriveImage
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:32:03 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Tony Rimovsky wrote:

> It isn't the same product Jeff mentions below, but the Enterprise Edition of
> Norton Ghost specifically uses multicasting to clone multiple disks/systems
> simultaneously. I'll ask the PC guys here if they have a manual handy. Off

Interesting.

> The fun comes, of course, when a 100bT connected image server starts
> pushing data to 10bT connected hosts at > 10Mbit/s.

Exactly. It isn't clear from the original description if the
router really had a problem or not.

There could also be more "fun" if the packages make inconsistent
assumptions about scope of multicast (does anyone know if they
use TTL=1?), and, possibly some security "fun" as well. Do any
of these packages do (effective) authentication/authorization?

--
Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21, Email:

NASA Ames Research Center Or:

Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000 Or:

Phone: 650/604-1056 Disc: Unofficial, personal *opinion*.