wg-multicast - Re: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups

  • From: Jan Novak <>
  • To: Bill Fenner <>
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 09:17:24 +0100

> Well, if you're sourcing in a sparse mode domain then you don't flow into
> dense domains unless the Sparse->Dense border router knows of group
> members inside the Dense domain, right? (Border routers can know of
> group members inside Dense domains via the sender-is-member hack or
> Domain Wide Reports)

This is nice theory, but we are fighting with tens of joins from
DM-SM border routers, sending joins for members which don`t even exist
in the rest of mcast network (but once joint a group -))
and causing steady traffic flows
over "SM" interfaces - you don`t have to be ignorant user, you just
run DM domain and are connected over SM/MSDP to the outside world.

Jan