wg-multicast - Re: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups

  • From: Mark Fullmer <>
  • To: Hugh LaMaster <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: So we need some scoping for non-global I2 multicast groups
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 23:25:09 -0400

> I see nothing malevolent about NTP multicast traffic,
> and, in fact, as long as most of the people advertising

What's wrong with peering with a stratum 1 server and
distributing the multicast or broadcast locally? Listening
to random NTP mcast sources around the globe seems problematic
at best.

We peer our routers with local clocks and configure all the
LAN interfaces with

ntp broadcast destination 255.255.255.255

--
mark