wg-multicast - [I2-Mcast]: NANOG Update

Subject: All things related to multicast

[I2-Mcast]: NANOG Update

  • From: (Kevin C. Almeroth)
  • To:
  • Subject: [I2-Mcast]: NANOG Update
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:57:45 -0800 (PST)

At NANOG, there was something of an adhoc meeting related to NGI
multicast. I have written some notes summarizing what was discussed
and have forwarded it to people on the I2 Multicast Working Group List.

Attendees: Steve Shultz (NREN), Hugh LaMaster (NREN), Paul Love (I2),
Guy Almes (part of the time)(I2), Dave Meyer (part of the
time)(Cisco), Rich Wood (Abilene NOC), Brent Sweeny
(Abilene NOC), Kevin Almeroth (I2/UCSB).

DISCUSSION ITEMS
----------------

* We discussed the plan for deploying multicast in Abilene. It
boils down to what IOS version to run on the GSRs and Dave
Meyer is going to identify a version and the Abilene NOC folks
are going to develop a plan to deploy and turn on multicast.

* The issue of connecting to the commodity Internet was discussed.
The solution is to peer at an appropriate point and then use
rate limits and admin scoped addresses to keep the I2 multicast
from overwhelming the commodity Internet. I'm going to work
on getting an administrated scoped range for use in I2.

* We discussed what issues are related to deploying multicast in
multi-homed networks. The hardline answer is that there isn't
an issue. Any network operator in such a position will have to
deploy MBGP as well as MSDP. The justification for this decision
is simple... we cannot handle the complexity of deploying
solutions similar to what exist in the MBone today. I will be
pinging those reps on the mailing from the various multicast
routing vendors to see where they stand on MBGP/MSDP deployment.
These results will be included in my talk in Las Cruces at the
vBNS Joint Tech Ops meeting.
http://www.ncne.org/news/workshop/990307/mtgnotice.html

* A related issue is that the justification document that I have
written for Abilene will appear on the I2 web site in the very
near future.

* Finally, we discussed plans to meet in Las Cruces to discuss
how we are going to join the various networks at the NGIXs.
This meeting will likely occur on Sunday, March 7, 1999 in the
afternoon. The various participating networks will be strongly
encouraged to deploy an MBGP/MSDP solution. I'll be writing a
meeting announcement and sending it out to this list and the
other principals.

  • [I2-Mcast]: NANOG Update, Kevin C. Almeroth, 02/02/1999