wg-irr - [WG-IRR] Some Google observations

Subject: Registry Working Group

[WG-IRR] Some Google observations

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [WG-IRR] Some Google observations
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 16:07:06 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=nysernet.org; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=nysernet.org; dkim=pass header.d=nysernet.org; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=L776zdCwI1tz8AR5Tpnygen46kIfaFVzkP9gg8FBUL0=; b=X7iDB9lDWDOaOZNknS/MhTtdD99GhZS+vEwtMznFjx+go568P9UzE0LjcSZW9/6JLlEJH3yYMB3+QJXzt5dPO+o4an6ywSLXaW9DKc9QsNL4Q5pZnvgK1chNnXeyrgkkuxC48izckcSbCQ9XMhI6vLS2I+IKglOfmpD0vwHv6Cimpoa79tEqyQ+wWf/Nka2nk41JIKvzRrqQeh49pkDErILfwMWNyTyNG8IROheJkLhpa5m79IRoGimDWGxVKnU5Da5tDflO8eTG47kqymteRAGDWNq1rUAhp56gn9mTzmWhjI5iO9Ge0bR2pdngsCrMA7INrkHNgOzgUxGFgX2uBw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=dNUYwHa+UMlZQYPhzXff1Q6dPpm5Tauj67uCKEZV0cPdIP+7nrvNrjjb8bTzGlIbDEnL5mJgqNUV+Z/QCwFnAG2JK8GZS6K2MWuoJ8L8zTDYfvOPtd0VQy+uTF3IYB3L+QgoKrDOeXA09m4KmSUbN8v2dIpovCjlMQv4Huyvqknv3Mc4gqanbq5uvbrmDehoQb3PEfC2aOWITy5rg8jO34mZ8C2EaMYmwHRLIEFREKGXTbe1WbFPVYKKYnZF0LLdALWqFna8GKiLSsmmJqq8fAj+fLjYbggCvGgEtgecm+1C4bF0EqF4lNGZuO8OUtfAiXwOImxCFgvbWuBqjjcgsw==

As Jeff Bartig pointed out last week, Google is now flagging routes as
'irr-invalid' in their ISP portal. However, in our case every 'invalid' route
is actually being accepted and carrying traffic, though I can't tell whether
that's because they are simply flagging, or because the ISP portal report is
out of sync with the real filters. I'm leaning towards the former, that they
are only reporting errors without placing the filters on the actual BGP
sessions, because we have one prefix that is intentionally not in the RADb or
any other IRR and it is still accepted.

For some of the errors it appears they simply aren't getting a complete view
of the data, since the vast majority of the 'invalid' routes have RADb
entries. In at least a couple of cases all of the routes for a particular
origin AS are flagged invalid except those that have old Level3 IRR objects,
but there's no pattern I can discern. They do not appear to be using ARIN
WHOIS OriginAS. For those keeping score, we are advertising 132 routes, they
are flagging 35, all but one of those have correct RADb objects.

I've been doing my testing by starting up a GCP instance and running
traceroute from the CLI, absent any Google traceroute looking glass. That
works fine except that the GCP instance doesn't appear to have any support
for IPv6, so I can only test v4 routes.

We do have one case where a campus is originating their prefix to NYSERNet
using their AS, and having their ISP (a cable company) originate it using the
ISP's AS; Google seems to be somewhat confused by this and is actually using
both paths. We're going to work on that. There are valid RADb objects for
both origins, and yet Google is flagging the one that comes across our
peering. Weird.

Bill.