wg-irr - [WG-IRR] IRR WG Update

Subject: Registry Working Group

[WG-IRR] IRR WG Update

  • From: Michael H Lambert <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [WG-IRR] IRR WG Update
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 15:30:08 -0400

Hi All,

There has been a flurry of subscriptions to the NTAC IRR working group
mailing list over the past week or two. I thought this would be a good time
to do a level setting of what the group is all about. It is a WORKING group
and a limited-term working group at that. We have a deliverable:
documentation on how a network operator (campus or regional) can quickly get
up and running with the IRR. Traffic on the mailing list should be related
to that documentation effort. In particular, any specific network's plans
for IRR are off-topic, except in the context of ensuring that particular
technical issues are addressed in the documentation. [Note to Internet2
staff: If the mission of the working group has changed, please reach out to
me ASAP.]

The expectation is that all members of the working group will collaborate in
putting together this document (or small set of documents), currently housed
in Google Docs. As is common in our community, nothing much has happened
yet. Here is the outline we are currently working from:

• Motivation for registering in IRR
• Overview of RPSL (not a deep dive)
• How to use registries
• RADB
• ARIN
• Any others?
• Bulk processing
• API tools
• Best practices on what to register
• Tools for working with IRR (maybe optional)

Early subscribers to the list (you should know who you are) already have
access to the documents. For anyone else, if you see a topic (or think of
one that we have missed) to which you would like to and are able to
contribute, please contact me directly and I will add you to the ACL. My
hoped-for target date is slipping, but I would really like to see us get a
document out the door by mid-September. As chair, I'm willing to contribute
and apply editorial control, but I don't want to end up writing the whole
thing myself.

Thanks,

Michael

-----
Michael H Lambert, GigaPoP Manager Phone: +1 412 268-4960
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center/3ROX FAX: +1 412 268-5832
300 S Craig St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 USA

  • [WG-IRR] IRR WG Update, Michael H Lambert, 08/09/2019