wg-irr - Re: [WG-IRR] Funny Google story

Subject: Registry Working Group

Re: [WG-IRR] Funny Google story

  • From: Chris Robb <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [WG-IRR] Funny Google story
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:25:11 +0000

That’s silly. Normally you give your NOC at least a three days worth of notice about a huge operational change like this. ;-)

On Jul 10, 2019, at 8:16 AM, Bill Owens <> wrote:

Yesterday, someone from Google replied to a general announcement email on the NYIIX list, with a note that was obviously meant to go just to one peer:

> [...]

I couldn’t resist replying to it (privately, of course):

I think this email was intended for a specific recipient rather than the entire NYIIX mailing list, but it brings up a question for me. I’ve seen several presentations by Google staff, particularly Chris Morrow, saying that Google is going to begin using IRR records to construct route filters for peers. The last I heard, that was going to start in September. Do you know anything about the implementation of that plan, especially when it is actually going to happen?

Here’s what I got back:

At the moment I do not have information about the project you are commenting, kindly you can contact Chris Morrow for more information.

So... we know the folks at the Google NOC have not been told about the impending IRR changes!

Bill.