thrulay-users - Re: Thrulay on BSD

Subject: Discussion list for thrulay, a network testing tool

Re: Thrulay on BSD

  • From: stanislav shalunov <>
  • To: "Williams, Jerrod" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Thrulay on BSD
  • Date: 22 Nov 2005 17:55:37 -0500

Jerrod,

I have no access to any OpenBSD machines; I decommissioned my last
OpenBSD box months ago. There's probably some trivial little thing
about the header files that OpenBSD doesn't like (such as order of
includes). I helped Les install an earlier version of thrulay on
OpenBSD before, but I could type into the window. If someone with
OpenBSD can volunteer a patch and it doesn't break any other OS, I'd
be happy to commit it.

Some OpenBSD systems have kernels compiled in a way that allows them
to execute binaries from FreeBSD and/or Linux (and other OSes, in
fact). You can try copying Linux binaries from any of your 32-bit
machines to the box and checking if they would work. If not, FreeBSD
binaries for i386 might work:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/thrulay/thrulay-0.8.tbz

If neither set of binaries works, you might ask the system
administrator about Linux and FreeBSD emulation on the OpenBSD
machine.

--
Stanislav Shalunov http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

Just my 0.086g of Ag.

"Williams, Jerrod"
<>
writes:

> Hi Stanislav,
>
> I'm doing a check on the nodes I believed to have running thrulay to
> and came accros one that I am not able to perform a make for it on.
> The machine name is rainbow.inp.nsk.su and it is a BSD machine. I
> cannot recall if there is a BSD Binary for thrulay, is there infact
> one? When I perform the make on this machine, I get an error before
> completion:
>
> rainbow:thrulay-0.6 {131} make
> cc -g -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual
> -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -
> Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wno-long-long -c thrulay.c
> In file included from thrulay.c:24:
> /usr/include/unistd.h:63: warning: redundant redeclaration of `cuserid' in
> same scope
> /usr/include/stdio.h:274: warning: previous declaration of `cuserid'

> /usr/include/sys/types.h:138: warning: previous declaration of `lseek'
> /usr/include/unistd.h:145: warning: redundant redeclaration of `ftruncate'
> in same scope
> /usr/include/sys/types.h:139: warning: previous declaration of `ftruncate'
> /usr/include/unistd.h:221: warning: redundant redeclaration of `truncate'
> in same scope
> /usr/include/sys/types.h:140: warning: previous declaration of `truncate'
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /home/cottrell/thrulay-0.6.
> rainbow:thrulay-0.6 {132} uname -a
> OpenBSD rainbow.inp.nsk.su 3.4 GENERIC#0 i386
> rainbow:thrulay-0.6 {133}
>
> Can you tell if I'm doing anything wrong at this time? What other
> details would you need? Please let me know if I'm on the right
> track.
>
> Jerrod D. Williams, Programmer
> Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
> Stanford University
> 2575 Sand Hill Road, M/S 88
> Menlo Park, California 94025
>
> 650.926.3545(o)
> 650.926.3329(f)

  • Re: Thrulay on BSD, stanislav shalunov, 11/22/2005