sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Polycom SIP phones?

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Polycom SIP phones?

  • From: Arthur Gaylord <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Polycom SIP phones?
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:54:40 -0400

Alan,

We have a couple of the Polycom Soundstation IP 4000 conference phones which are quite nice. Since these won't be mass deployed I've been configuring them individually which isn't too hard. People here like the fact that they can just plug the phone into any live network jack and have a quality conference phone. We loan them out through our Help Desk. It has good microphone coverage even with just the default mic and you could add satellite pickups. I put it in the corner of a roughly 20' X 25' room and it picked up someone speaking normally in the diagonally opposite corner just fine. Of course, generally you'd want to put int near the middle of the room.

We haven't tried the desktop phones. Initially we were put off by the difficulty in configuring them for mass deployment and just haven't revisited them.

Art

--
Arthur S. Gaylord
Director, Computer and Information Services

508-289-3329