sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] jack density

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] jack density

  • From: Arthur Gaylord <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] jack density
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:17:17 -0500

Hi,

We install 2 quad outlets/office that combine phone and networking. One each on opposite, long walls whenever possible. All jacks are wired back to the closets, but only the top two in each quad are connected to a switch port until there is a demand for additional jacks. For many years we've used Cat X (X=3,5,6 depending upon installation date) for both phone and network. By convention the upper right jack is used for phone and the upper left is the first activated network jack. With VoIP it now makes no difference but we are continuing the tradition for the most part.

We have no dorm to speak of so this is primarily for office and lab space. Larger labs get more jacks as do specialty areas, although they always seem to be short.

When installing VoIP phones the order of preference is use an open jack if available, share a port with a secondary networked device (printer, old computer, laptop port, etc), and lastly share with the person's primary computer. Eventually we will probably recover and reuse the phone jacks wired to our PBX, but haven't been doing that yet.

Art

_____

Arthur S. Gaylord
Director, Computer and Information Services
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Woods Hole MA 02543

508-289-3329