sip.edu - Outsourcing Campus Communications

Subject: SIP in higher education

Outsourcing Campus Communications

  • From: Ben Teitelbaum <>
  • To: "SIP.edu" <>
  • Subject: Outsourcing Campus Communications
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:54:53 -0500

You can now outsource campus email to Google (see blog posting
attached below). Next up (I imagine), Google Talk. Would you point
your MX record at Google? How about your SIP or XMPP SRV records?

The notion that campuses (and enterprises) have a unique value
proposition when it comes to providing communications services is
under assault from many directions. Thoughts?

-- ben

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/02/big-mail-on-campus.html

Big mail on campus

2/10/2006 10:20:00 AM
Posted by Stephanie Hannon, Gmail Product Manager

San Jose College (SJCC) has embarked on a technology improvement
program, and for the first time will be offering student email
accounts. That's where we come in. We're testing a new service with
the school by hosting Gmail accounts with SJCC domain addresses
(like
),
plus admin tools for efficient
account management. Massive storage and features that tame the most
unruly inboxes, like powerful mail search, conversation view for
messages, and a fast interface, make Gmail very handy for
students. Together, we're pleased to provide this channel for better
communications and a stronger community for all 10,000 SJCC
students.

If your school, business or organization is interested in following
SJCC's lead, let us know.

--
Ben Teitelbaum http://people.internet2.edu/~ben/