sip.edu - RE: [sip.edu] Weekly SIP.edu Call Today - 12/15

Subject: SIP in higher education

RE: [sip.edu] Weekly SIP.edu Call Today - 12/15

  • From: "Abrams, Derek" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [sip.edu] Weekly SIP.edu Call Today - 12/15
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:08:46 -0800

Yesterday in the ACUTA FCC UPDATE Conference Call, I asked, in regards
to CALEA and the FCC's view that for now Internet2 and Abilene are
viewed as "private" networks and not subject CALEA,:

What view would the FCC take upon campuses communicating between each
other using VOIP technologies where the campuses area connected to the
PSTN?

The response was "Good question, and for now the FCC has not changed
their view." [Paraphrased]

I bring this up to SIP.edu because of our discussions about
inter-institutional VOIP communications and discussions about
SIP-Trunking. I understand the groups Carrier concerns and I think they
are valid; however for trials of this technology I see this as
supporting the I2 mission.

Your thoughts?

Derek Abrams
Oregon State University