sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] More on my ENUM todo

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] More on my ENUM todo

  • From: (Dennis Baron)
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] More on my ENUM todo
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:16:37 -0400

I thought that I'd a few thoughts before today's call...

While SIP.edu does promote email addressing I think the larger goal is
to build stuff that gets used. And in reality most schools that have
done SIP.edu have also implemented some form of numeric addressing -
usually just following the campus PBX dial plan. So if there is
demand from the Internet2 schools for some sort of ENUM service then I
think we should find a path to move that forward.

In addition to the (lack of) speed of the e164.arpa deployment, my
impression is that in the end the "official" number space will be
"owned" by the carriers and not the universities. So building
e164.edu now may help us persuade the carriers to do the right
thing... when they get around to it!

Here are a couple ENUM tutorials if people are interested:

http://jprs.co.jp/enum/enum_jprs/activity/pdf/031122.pdf
http://www.enumf.org/documents/gen/2003/GEN0075R0_Lind_ENUM_%20Tutorial.ppt

Talk to you at 2:00... Dennis

Dennis Baron; Information Services & Technology
mailto:
Senior Strategist for Integrated Communications
sip:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology; Room 9-369 tel:+1-617-252-1232
77 Massachusetts Avenue; Cambridge, MA 02139-4307 fax:+1-617-253-8000