sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] More on my ENUM todo

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] More on my ENUM todo

  • From: Ben Teitelbaum <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] More on my ENUM todo
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:20:46 -0500

David Paul Zimmerman
<>
writes:

> Regarding the note above about I2 running a private ENUM root and
> trial campus ENUM, I can't find anything real (i.e., NS or NAPTR RRs),
> only a CNAME and IP. Apparently it was working, but is down, and the
> UMich undergrad who was putting it together is now working at Cisco.
> So I don't know where that goes from here, or if I2 has chosen to
> pursue a different direction. In general, there appears to not be a
> lot of interest in e.164, from what I can tell. My reading of various
> SIP.edu archive postings seems that it is viewed with the deprecated
> importance of "legacy" 12-key phone integration, rather than something
> "interesting" like
> sip:.
> At the end of the day, I'm not sure how to deal with putting ENUM
> support in place for +1-510-66x-xxxx
> (e.g. 4.5.9.9.4.6.6.0.1.5.1.???) in such a way that follows a
> SIP.edu roadmap (paved or not).

David,

The Internet2 "Reverse SIP.edu" ENUM experiment that you reference was
just that; it was never close to being ready for production. Due to
resource requirements and other concerns, Internet2 is not planning to
administer a private ENUM. For experimentation, one of the services
that you identify (e164.org, Stealth) should work just fine.

Supporting E164 dialing is very much not on the paved SIP.edu roadmap
at this point. It's been discussed several times, but, if enough
members of the community feel strongly that higher-ed should
experiment with a private ENUM federation, it should probably be
discussed again.

Best Regards,

-- ben

--