sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] More on my ENUM todo

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] More on my ENUM todo

  • From: Stephen Kingham <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] More on my ENUM todo
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:03:13 +1000

Hi David

I am pleased you have brought up the subject and your review of the present status.

David Paul Zimmerman wrote:
Hi, all. I've been reading all of the past mail and meeting archives, and am offically chasing my own tail now. I'm hoping that other SIP.edu participants might be able to shed some light.

From the Feb 3, 2005 SIP.edu archived discussion:

A question is posed about the testing of E.164 dialing - overall, people
are interested in such a thing but most call participants are currently
too busy or otherwise involved to devote a lot of time to it. Others are
unconvinced of the benefits in relation to the amount of configuration
work necessary to implement such a thing.

I think this is a very good summary of the situation.

- On average E.164 dialing is important to people. Yes some do not see the benefit, but most do.
- Finding a solution, or two, that enough people want to use is the hard part you refer to.

From Ben Teitelbaum's presentation at the Jun 16, 2004 workshop at UPenn:

o Internet2 acting both as private ENUM root (e164.internet2.edu) and as trial campus ENUM (enum.internet2.edu)
o Was working, currently down

Please bear with me in my newness to all of this, but it appears to me that ENUM support in the US is pretty fractured, due in no small part to the non-delegation of 1.e164.arpa. In response to my email from last week, I did get one answer from Duane who runs the e164.org ENUM registry, so that was appreciated, but only part of the answer I'm searching for. So I did better searches of the SIP.edu archives and in general, tried to make some sense of the state of things.

North America is not alone in having not having sorted out their ENUM delegation.

Regarding the note above about I2 running a private ENUM root and trial campus ENUM, I can't find anything real (i.e., NS or NAPTR RRs), only a CNAME and IP. Apparently it was working, but is down, and the UMich undergrad who was putting it together is now working at Cisco. So I don't know where that goes from here, or if I2 has chosen to pursue a different direction. In general, there appears to not be a lot of interest in e.164, from what I can tell. My reading of various SIP.edu archive postings seems that it is viewed with the deprecated importance of "legacy" 12-key phone integration, rather than something "interesting" like sip:.

It appears to me that a private ENUM tree is the only way forward. It would be nice if we worked out a private ENUM tree that all the ARENs around the world would use.

sip:
_is_ really important.

Beyond that, I've found a number of private ENUM providers:

- E164.org (http://www.e164.org/)
- ENUM.org (http://www.enum.org/information/trial.cfm)
- Stealth VPF (http://www.thevpf.com/?action=enum)
- FreeWorld Dialup (http://www.pulver.com/fwd/)

and there are more, I'm sure, but there's no advice in the cookbook about any of this. Some of those ENUM providers have their own presence on the PSTN side (e.g. FWD has +87810 393), some are completely virtual (e.g. ENUM.org), and other mixes. Stealth lists Yale and MIT as members. It appears that E164.org also allows you to put your own number in verbatim, as I believe Stealth VPF does. At the end of the day, I'm not sure how to deal with putting ENUM support in place for +1-510-66x-xxxx (e.g. 4.5.9.9.4.6.6.0.1.5.1.???) in such a way that follows a SIP.edu roadmap (paved or not).

I'm getting dizzy :-) and see three choices at the moment:

- wait and see, keep in touch with SIP.edu progress on ENUM

I suspect the E.164 problem needs to be it's own "project" rather than complicate the SIP.edu project. That is the impression I got from the last VoIP Working Group Meeting I attended.

I would like to here what other think and then ask Walt, Ben and Dennis to think of a direction that might work.

- sign up with nearly-free (i.e., pay or donate) private ENUM provider (but which one for SIP.edu?)

I think an Internet2 private ENUM tree, or something lile it, is important.

- specifically pursue operation of e164.internet2.edu ENUM root for SIP.edu testing

Am I way off base?

I think you are right on track.

In APAN (Asia Pacific Advanced Networks www.apan.net) the sip-h323 Working Group is creating a SIP Server in the core, and use static E.164 routing, essentialy the same model as the H.323 International Root Gatekeeper hierarchy, see ViDe Net and Global Dialing Scheme (GDS), or Internet2 Commons. I think this APAN project is worth while to see what happens, and I understand the Eroupeans have shown interst in this model too.

In APAN there are some significant people interested in other protocols for E.164 routing such as TRIP. At the last APAN meeting the idea of a STRIP (Simple TRIP) being a cut down version of TRIP was suggested. BUt this would be a long term project.

And ENUM is clearly important. We as an AREN community should collaborate and set up a private ENUM tree. But who and where and what management processes? One good example is the Management of the Number Space used in the H.323 based services (GDS) to include allocation of E.164 within a private ENUM number space.

dp

--
Stephen Kingham, MIT, BSc, E&C Cert
Project Manager and Consulting Engineer

Voice and Video over IP
for The Australian Academic Research Network (AARNet)
http://www.aarnet.edu.au