sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Re: Cisco 7960 and Avaya CCS 2.1 registration problem

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Re: Cisco 7960 and Avaya CCS 2.1 registration problem

  • From: Yul Pyun <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Re: Cisco 7960 and Avaya CCS 2.1 registration problem
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:24:46 -1000

Interesting...I'm using P0S3-06-3-00 on 7960 phones, and it works with proxy1_address set to our proxy's ip address. Tried setting it to our proxy's fqdn and that works too. Then tried setting it to hawaii.edu and that works too!

Looking at ngrep...

With the proxy*_address set to domain (e.g. hawaii.edu), indeed the phone looks for _sip._udp.hawaii.edu, which yields our proxy's A record, which in turn yields the proxy's actual ip address. Then the phone sends a REGISTER to the proxy's ip address in the form of From: sip:...and Contact: <sip:nnnnn@ip-address:5060>

With the proxy*_address set to the ip address, the phone sends the REGISTER to the specified ip address, without going through the DNS lookups, in the form of From: sip:nnnnnn@ip-address...and Contact: <sip:nnnnnn@ip-address:5060>

With the registration in the form of nnnnn@domain, my initial concern was how the registered phone will be located when someone calls it. But evidently the contact info is used for location services (in my case, CSPS Registry database).

For the phones regitered in the nnnnn@domain format, I like the fact that subsequent INVITEs use the same format.

Looking ahead...
What if you had a separate registrar, would you necessarily have a SRV record for it? If not, how would the end-points resolve the domain into the registrar's ip address?

-Yul
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Baron" <>