sip.edu - open source software involved in VoIP

Subject: SIP in higher education

open source software involved in VoIP

  • From: Deke Kassabian <>
  • To: , ,
  • Subject: open source software involved in VoIP
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:14:46 -0400

Folks,

I'll be on a panel at the VoiceCon 2005 conference, talking about the
use of open source software in enterprise VoIP. I know what we've
worked with here at Penn. But I'd like to ask for your input, to hear
about packages you've worked with and liked or disliked, and also what
you think the issues are in using open source voice software.

Why do you consider this approach at all?
-Is it that it better supports your experimentation?
-Does it perhaps support your work in relevant standards groups?
-Are you actively adding needed features to existing packages?
-Are you providing pilot or production services using such
packages in ways that non-open-source packages wouldn't easily
support?

What else do you recommend I consider as I design my talk?

I'm one of a few on a panel, so I think I only get 15 minutes of fame
(infamy?). But I would love to have your input, and will certainly give
credit if any of you have key points that I hadn't yet considered.

My slides must be turned in by December 1st. Which I find odd, since at
most conferences at which I speak, I'm still tweaking my slides minutes
before I go on :)

Anyway, your input sometime soon would be a great help! Please send
directly to me, and I'll summarize responses if asked.

Thanks, folks.

^Deke

-------
Deke Kassabian, Senior Technology Director
Information Systems and Computing
Networking and Telecommunications
University of Pennsylvania
<URL:http://pobox.upenn.edu/~deke>

  • open source software involved in VoIP, Deke Kassabian, 10/25/2004