sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Re: ENUM Issues for SIP.edu

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Re: ENUM Issues for SIP.edu

  • From: Ben Teitelbaum <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Re: ENUM Issues for SIP.edu
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:35:41 -0400

Quincy Wu
<>
writes:

> Dear Ben & Dennis:
>
> We are preparing a SIP hands-on workshop in APAN (Asia-Pacific
> Advance Network) meeting in July, which prevents me from attending
> your workshop in the US.

Quincy,

All the best with the APAN workshop. From what I've seen of the
planning, it looks like it will be excellent.

> However, I would love to know more about your implementation in
> Internet2, especially your conclusion in the workshop on how you
> plan to incorporate ENUM to allow users reaching SIP.edu URIs from
> legacy phones, and other issues.

We will produce a summary of the workshop. There are a number of
folks who would like to be there who won't, either because of personal
conflicts or the fact that the workshop is over-subscribed (we've had
to turn away about 10 people).

> As I mentioned to you in Hawaii, we are developing a Voice-Activated
> Phonebook to make it easier for users to call from legacy phones. The
> goal of our project is to create a service in our VoIP network so that
> a user can dial 411 and speak the name of the callee, and the system
> will find out the SIP URI of the callee and make the call for him. As
> you can predict, this service is developed as a normal SIP UA, so it
> is easy to be integrated into any existing SIP VoIP system.

That's very nice. Keep us posted. I've had conversations with voice
recognition people, including the CTO of TellMe, who have suggested
that untrained voice dialing for a university-scale enterprise (with
many international names) is very hard. If Taiwanese universities are
less ethnically diverse than American universities, you might have
more luck with this approach. BTW, I'm inclined to try it here
despite the warnings. :-)

> After all, according to our experience, E164 numbers may not be a good
> idea for SIP.edu. As Dennis keeps on telling people, "It is difficult
> for you to rememorize the phone numbers." Don't you think so? :-)

There really are a range of opinions on supporting E.164 addressing.
From "you must do it", to "we need a migration path from E.164 to
SIP.edu addresses", to "it would be best to ignore E.164". Lot's a
meat for discussion / debate on Wednesday!

> Anyway, thanks for subscribing me to the mailing list.

It's our pleasure having you here!

Regards,

-- ben