shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] derefAliases broken in 2.2.x

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] derefAliases broken in 2.2.x

  • From: Dan McLaughlin <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] derefAliases broken in 2.2.x
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 08:26:45 -0500

Hi Daniel,

Actually dereference alias "never" means "Never dereferences aliases".
So if you have an alias it will not be returned. When we leave the
default "always" then the alias and the object is references is
returned and we get the exception about too many results returned.

The documentation from Sun/Oracle confirms my understanding.
http://download.oracle.com/javase/jndi/tutorial/ldap/misc/aliases.html

Dan McLaughlin

NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it
are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. The contents of
this e-mail are confidential and may be subject to work product
privileges. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Daniel Fisher