shibboleth-dev - [Shib-Dev] shibd crashes frequently (shibboleth-sp)

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

[Shib-Dev] shibd crashes frequently (shibboleth-sp)

  • From: Sean Langford <>
  • To: "''" <>
  • Cc: "''" <>
  • Subject: [Shib-Dev] shibd crashes frequently (shibboleth-sp)
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:19:01 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Hello Shibboleth experts,

I have been able to run shibboleth as an SP successfully for several months, until recently when shibd has begun to crash fairly often.  Approximately 10-20 requests will occur successfully but then shibd will crash and print this error in the shibd log:

2011-05-31 13:57:36 ERROR Shibboleth.Listener [6]: unexpected error processing incoming message

I rebuilt shibd and dependencies from scratch but this has not changed this situation.  As far as I know, there have been no changes to my system except for normal os updates.  What is the best next step in troubleshooting this problem?

Because I suspect the next step involves debugging, I am also copying the shibboleth-dev mailing list.

Here is a list of describing the versions of the various dependencies of shibboleth.

log4shib-1.0.4

opensaml-2.4.1

shibboleth-2.4.1

xml-security-c-1.6.0

xmltooling-1.4.1

apache-2.2.17

Thanks in advance,

Sean Langford

Principal Architect, Manager R&D

Nolij Corporation

Office:   888-818-6654 ext. 412

Fax:        888-995-6654

Email:

The foregoing communication contains confidential information owned by Nolij Corporation, which may be either (a) subject to the confidentiality obligations imposed under a Software License Agreement between Nolij and the recipient, or (b) desired by Nolij to be withheld by the recipient from further disclosure or other use.  It is critical to Nolij that such information not be used for purposes other than those necessary to directly further the purposes of this communication, and that the recipient refrain from disclosing to third parties the confidential information contained in the foregoing communication, unless first obtaining the written consent of Nolij.  Thank you for abiding by these restrictions.

  • [Shib-Dev] shibd crashes frequently (shibboleth-sp), Sean Langford, 05/31/2011