shibboleth-dev - [Shib-Dev] custom LoginHandler accessing SP entityID

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

[Shib-Dev] custom LoginHandler accessing SP entityID

  • From: Jeffrey Eaton <>
  • To: Shib Dev <>
  • Subject: [Shib-Dev] custom LoginHandler accessing SP entityID
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 19:37:00 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I have a need to make my IDP do different things based on the entityID of the
SP which initiated the request. Specifically, certian SPs will cause the IDP
to stop processing and display an error for certain users (specifically,
those not found in an LDAP directory). The actual authentication is handled
by another Apache module, which sets REMOTE_USER.

I tried cloning the RemoteUser login handler, but I can't find a way to get
the entityID in RemoteUserAuthServlet. In RemoteUserLoginHandler, that's
available by doing:

HttpServletHelper.getLoginContext(httpRequest).getRelyingPartyId());

however, after the redirect to the Servlet (which is what is actually
protected by Apache, so the first place the the REMOTE_USER is available),
that does not work, since it's a different httpRequest. I don't see any
other way to access the SP entityID from there.

Really, I think I want to do this later, after attribute resolution, because
then I can just look to see if any of the LDAP attributes were resolved, then
act based on that.

Is there a straightforward way to do this?

-jeaton