shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] OSGi Bundle - AttributeResolver Cannot Connect to LDAP

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] OSGi Bundle - AttributeResolver Cannot Connect to LDAP

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Jonathan Tellier <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] OSGi Bundle - AttributeResolver Cannot Connect to LDAP
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 12:44:14 -0600

> Note that my basic authn implementation uses Novell's jldap library
> instead of the javax.naming classes used by the attribute resolver.
>

> [edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.common.attribute.resolver.provider.dataConnector.LdapDataConnector:369]
> - LDAP data connector myLDAP - An error occured when attempting to
> search the LDAP: {java.naming.provider.url=ldap://localhost:389,
> java.naming.factory.initial=com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory}
> javax.naming.NotContextException: Not an instance of LdapContext
>        at
> javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext.getDefaultLdapInitCtx(InitialLdapContext.java:169)

> I've went through the javax.naming.ldap.InitialLdapContext's code and
> took a look at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager, which is called by
> InitialLdapContext, and if my comprehension is right, all the needed
> classes are found since I don't have any exceptions while loading the
> factory. It's as if the LdapCtxFactory was not returning the correct
> object...
>
> I don't have a lot of experience in accessing an LDAP directory from
> within Java, so I might be missing something obvious. Does someone
> here have an idea of what the problem might be?

Since the shib LdapDataConnector depends on vt-ldap which depends on
JNDI, I'm not sure you can insert the Novell jldap library without
providing a new DataConnector (both in code and in your attribute
resolver configuration) that does not extend the LdapDataConnector.
I'm thinking that the LdapDataConnector would need to be abstracted to
support the jldap library.

Tom