shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] IdP OSGI Bundle

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] IdP OSGI Bundle

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] IdP OSGI Bundle
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 13:13:59 -0500

Okay. Well as I said I only have a vague idea of the real workings of OSGi. I've just read a few articles about it and scanned a few specs in order to try and grasp the general idea and goals.

So, I guess one place to start is to talk about tooling a bit. I know that Eclipse's PDE feature has a lot of OSGi capabilities, and while all the current devs use Eclipse that hasn't always been true in the past and I don't want to require it for the future.

What other tooling would you recommend? We'd need something that didn't come with a lot of overhead or else it's just not going to be worth the trouble from a project perspective. In particular I'm very concerned about management of the exported APIs list in the manifest. I have no interest in trying to maintain that manually.