shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Consent Engine Work

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Consent Engine Work

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Consent Engine Work
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:31:48 -0500

Well, as Halm knows, I've gone back and forth on whether we should support this "feature" at all. I continue to feel that people should never use this feature, and I have in the past told Halm I was going to yank it when we included uApprove into IdP v3. However, I also know that some folks who have deploy uApprove do in fact allow user's to opt-in to global consent.

So for me, at this point, I am mostly settled on the model where we leave it in but have it off by default. What I really want to ensure though is that our APIs are developed such that they are easy to extend or chopped up and reused for people who want to do drastically different UIs. I feel pretty confident in saying that outside the very simple uApprove/card selector UI we have today, we have no idea what UIs people really find usable.

So, my hope is that once attribute consent is baked in to the IdP, and thus in front of many more people, we can get people experimenting with more advanced UIs and figuring out what really works. Or, maybe we find out that the "simple" interface is the best option.