shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Dynamic Metadata Provider for IdP

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Dynamic Metadata Provider for IdP

  • From: Yang Xiang <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Dynamic Metadata Provider for IdP
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 15:12:07 +0200

On δΈ‰, 2010-07-07 at 13:28 +0200, Adam Lantos wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Xiang Yang
> <>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wrote a dynamic MetadataProvider extension to the IdP snapshot 2.2.0
> > (and IdP v 2.1.5). If anybody thinks it could be useful for him I'll be
> > happy to contribute my code.
> >
> > The logic is exactly as same as provided with the SP v2.4:
> >
> > <MetadataProvider id="ShibbolethMetadata"
> > xsi:type="dynfedmd:DynamicHTTPMetadataProvider"
> > xmlns="urn:mace:shibboleth:2.0:metadata" >
> > <Subst encoded="true"
> > xmlns="urn:dynfed:shibboleth:metadataprovider">http://localhost/retrievMD?entityId=$entityId</Subst>
> > </MetadataProvider>
> >
> > 1. If there is no "<Subst>" child element, the entity-id is used as the
> > md location;
> >
> > 2. Otherwise the content of <Subst> is used as the md location and the
> > string $entityId is replaced by the entity-id if there is one.
>
> sounds nice, does it support hash transformations and other stuff like
> the ones described in [1]?
>
> [1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lajoie-md-query-00
>
> cheers,
> Adam

No, hash transforms are not supported. But the entityId can be
URL-encoded (the attribute "encoded" of the Subst element).

Actually, the implementation of dynamic MDProvider for Snapshot 2.2.0
uses the HTTPMetadaProvider in Opensaml 2.4. Thus, what the
HTTPMetadataProvider of Idp Snapshot 2.2.0 supports [1] is also
supported in the dynamic MetdataProvider implementation. What the
HTTPMetadataProvider does not support is not supported either.

[1] https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/IdPMetadataProvider

Cheers,

Yang