shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] LoginContext - NullPointer Exception

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] LoginContext - NullPointer Exception

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] LoginContext - NullPointer Exception
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 06:11:44 -0400

Hey Petra,

If you feel there is a bug in the code (and this sounds like one), please file it in JIRA so that it can be fixed.

On 5/28/10 2:56 AM, Petra Berg wrote:
Hi,

I use shibboleth 2.1.5. IdP in combination with uApprove 2.1.3 plug-in.
In at least one case the uApprove plug-in module cause an IdP error.
The reason is a NullPointer Exception while accessing
loginContext.getAuthenticationMethod(). (uApprove, Plugin.java line: 302
in doFilter())
This situation comes up e.g., if the user close the browser tab while
accessing the login-Page of IdP and retry connecting the same IdP later.
(The Cookie contains a valid loginContex, but not every field filled.)

To avoid this error I patched the uApprove Plugin to catch the exception.

But the right way I think would be, to check the private object
authenticationMethodInformation against null, before returning the value.
The same check is needed for Methods: getAuthenticationInstant(),
getPrincipalName() and getAuthenticationDuration().

Kind Regards,
Petra Berg

Petra Berg Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin
Tel.: +49 (0)30-2093 70155 ZE Computer- und Medienservice
Fax: +49 (0)30-2093 2704 Unter den Linden 6

D-10099 Berlin

Chad La Joie
http://itumi.biz
trusted identities, delivered