shibboleth-dev - LoginContext - NullPointer Exception

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

LoginContext - NullPointer Exception

  • From: Petra Berg <>
  • To: Shibboleth Develpoer <>
  • Subject: LoginContext - NullPointer Exception
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 08:56:47 +0200

Hi,

I use shibboleth 2.1.5. IdP in combination with uApprove 2.1.3 plug-in.
In at least one case the uApprove plug-in module cause an IdP error.
The reason is a NullPointer Exception while accessing loginContext.getAuthenticationMethod(). (uApprove, Plugin.java line: 302 in doFilter())
This situation comes up e.g., if the user close the browser tab while accessing the login-Page of IdP and retry connecting the same IdP later.
(The Cookie contains a valid loginContex, but not every field filled.)

To avoid this error I patched the uApprove Plugin to catch the exception.

But the right way I think would be, to check the private object authenticationMethodInformation against null, before returning the value.
The same check is needed for Methods: getAuthenticationInstant(), getPrincipalName() and getAuthenticationDuration().

Kind Regards,
Petra Berg

Petra Berg                          Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin
Tel.: +49 (0)30-2093 70155          ZE Computer- und Medienservice
Fax:  +49 (0)30-2093 2704           Unter den Linden 6
         D-10099 Berlin