shibboleth-dev - Passing delegated credentials

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Passing delegated credentials

  • From: Jeffrey T Eaton <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Passing delegated credentials
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:20:31 -0400

Hi,

We're looking into extending Shibboleth to provide the ability to pass delegated credentials from the IdP to an SP.

Specifically, we would like to be able to pass WS-Security assertions or Kerberos 5 tickets, so that the SP can then use those credentials to authenticte to another service. For example, if we use Shib to authenticate users to our web portal, the portal would be able to extract the credentials from the Shib SAML assertion, then use those credentials to authenticate to our mail server on behalf of the user. (Our portal currently gets an IMAP K5 service ticket in this way via Pubcookie, and then authenticates to Cyrus using the user's IMAP service ticket. This way, the portal does not have to have "superuser" credentials to the IMAP server.)

So, that said, we are looking at either passing multiple SAML assertions between the IdP and SP, or embedding the credentials into the existing SAML assertion (perhaps as a Base-64 encoded blob).

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to pass these credentials?

Is it possible to pass multiple SAML assertions at once to an SP? The SP code seems to indicate that multiple Shib assertions can be passed (grep for "Shib-Assertion-Count"), but I don't see any way to actually do this.

Thanks,

-jeaton