shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] IdP 2.2.0 Snapshot Release

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] IdP 2.2.0 Snapshot Release

  • From: Daniel Fisher <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] IdP 2.2.0 Snapshot Release
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:37:10 -0500

There are actually two issues here.
First the vt-ldap 3.x library no longer attempts to map jndi properties back into it's own property space.
So any unknown properties are simply placed into the context, and in your case putting that specific property into the context and using startTLS simply won't work. (unless you write your own connection handler...)

The second problem I see here is shib specific and is what we should address.
Attempting to set any properties in the LDAPProperties element that override attributes in the LDAPDirectory schema has the potential to cause problems.
The main reason for this is that most schema attributes have a default value and the order in which these elements are processed will probably never be guaranteed.
I'm not sure if we should attempt to throw an exception when this occurs, log an error, or just document some of the properties that should not be placed in LDAPProperties.

So in your case your config should use the authenticationType attribute:

<resolver:DataConnector id="personreg" xsi:type="LDAPDirectory" xmlns="urn:mace:shibboleth:2.0:resolver:dc"
ldapURL="ldap://seneca02.u.washington.edu:389";
baseDN="dc=washington,dc=edu"
principal="cn=urizen3.cac.washington.edu"
poolInitialSize="2"
poolMaxIdleSize="5"
cacheResults="true"
useStartTLS="true"
authenticationType="EXTERNAL">

instead of:

<LDAPProperty name="java.naming.security.authentication" value="EXTERNAL" />

--Daniel