shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] Update from repository overwrites shib.conf

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] Update from repository overwrites shib.conf

  • From: Juha T Ojaluoma <>
  • To:
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] Update from repository overwrites shib.conf
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:17:35 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Scott Cantor wrote:
> Juha T Ojaluoma wrote on 2010-01-13:
> > Is there any nice way to avoid update from repository overwriting
> > /etc/httpd/conf.d/shib.conf? I wonder if the file is not marked as a
> > configuration file in the package.
>
> It doesn't get overwritten (anymore), it gets moved out of the way
> (.rpmorig). Upgrading from or to older buggy versions may destroy the
> original instead, the specifics depend on the versions.
>
> -- Scott

Oh, I missed this response. What I'm saying is /etc/httpd/conf.d/shib.conf
gets overwritten. The original is also saved as you said.

This has caused some surprises when system administrators have updated the
system without being aware of this feature. Is there some reason for this?
I can't imagine cases where somebody would prefer default file if there
exists one already. Or maybe updating from 1 to 2.

Cheers,
Juha