shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] OpenSSL 0.9.8j and Tomcat

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] OpenSSL 0.9.8j and Tomcat

  • From: André Cruz <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] OpenSSL 0.9.8j and Tomcat
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 10:23:50 +0000

On Feb 5, 2009, at 1:08 , Scott Cantor wrote:

Since life's been boring lately, my favorite open source projects have
decided to stir things up. Took me a while to track this down, but I believe
there's an incompatibility between OpenSSL 0.9.8j clients (e.g. libcurl,
i.e. the SP) and Tomcat TLS/SSL servers (most likely anything using the Sun
Java SSL implementation).

I don't have any system with 0.9.8j yet. I'll have to find time to install it and try. Which version of the JDK are you using?

I've reproduced the behavior with both my own build and a Cygwin version of
0.9.8j. Haven't tried a Unix version yet. I don't need curl to show it,
openssl s_client alone reveals the error. My Tomcat's the latest 6.0, but I
think any version's probably affected.

For the record, what happens?

Also, you mention using tomcat 6.0. I was under the impression that the IDP 1.3 required jdk 5 and tomcat <= 5.5. Does it work well?

André