shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] Compiling Shibboleth-2.1 on FreeBSD

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] Compiling Shibboleth-2.1 on FreeBSD

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] Compiling Shibboleth-2.1 on FreeBSD
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 23:22:09 -0500

Tristan Waddington wrote on 2009-01-14:
> I have some programming experience, but almost none in C++, so I'm
> having a hell of a time trying to figure out what's wrong. I did some
> poking around and am wondering if there is a problem with conflicting
> namespaces or an improperly included file, but I'm really not sure.

I would assume it's a non-included file. The definition of sockaddr_in isn't
being handled by whatever the non-Windows branch of header inclusion is.

I don't think there's any C++ involved at all, that's just a spurious
assumption by the compiler because sockaddr_in isn't defined and it's just
picking one of the in-use namespaces as a possible home for the undeclared
type.

This is a standard/vanilla socket programming portability bug.