shibboleth-dev - some 2.1 load tests

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

some 2.1 load tests

  • From: Jim Fox <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: some 2.1 load tests
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 16:26:38 -0800

I've done a few load tests on our shib 2.1 test cluster.
- One system is a single-processor, Intel 2.8Ghz; - The other is a vmware client on a 1.6Ghz system. - The cluster is hooked together with Terracotta.
- Each query resolves attributes from three ldap servers
and one postgres DB.

1) SAML1 style authn queries direct to the idp. (with attribute push)

- these are with an idp session pre-established

- max throughput on the 2.8 ghz system is about ten requests per second,
regardless of load.

- load factor of one, about 100ms response time
- load factor of three, about 300ms
- load factor of ten, about 1000ms
- the 1.6 Ghz system was less than half as productive, with a throughput of four requests per second.

2) SAML2 logins via an SP (with attribute push)

- these consistently took about 60% longer at the IdP.
- and about 100% longer at the SP - to process the assertion.

Jim