shibboleth-dev - Last-Modified vs Etag for metadata modification checking

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Last-Modified vs Etag for metadata modification checking

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Last-Modified vs Etag for metadata modification checking
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:31:38 +0100

The Java metadata provider currently does an HTTP HEAD request to
determine if its cached copy of metadata fresh. While investigating
using conditional GETs I came across a lot of references to using the
Etag instead of the last modified time. I am by no means an HTTP expert
but my understanding was that Etags were useful when you did have a last
modified time, for example, when you generated content but the data
source couldn't tell you when that content has last changed.

So, my general question is, should I be checking the Etag or the
Last-Modified header in order to detect changes?

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities