shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] Central WAYF + Distributed WAYF - Disadvantages = Embedded WAYF

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] Central WAYF + Distributed WAYF - Disadvantages = Embedded WAYF

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] Central WAYF + Distributed WAYF - Disadvantages = Embedded WAYF
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:57:37 -0400

> Not right now but in theory yes :) I'm assuming that in most cases the
> number of different Home Organizations that should get access is
> reasonably small so that you wouldn't have to categorize the IdPs also
> into different federations. This would require the user to interact
> twice with some UI element and therefore also decrease usability slightly.

Then I'm confused. With a centralized WAYF (and that's still what this is),
you lose control over which IdPs should be displayed. You generally have to
display them all.

When you want control over them, that's when you do your own. And if the
list is so small that you don't need to categorize them, doing your own is
trivial (in fact the SP comes with that capability now).

Basically, this still seems unworkable for the majority of cases, where a
single federation is not going to work.