shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] Listener shutdown after memory problem

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] Listener shutdown after memory problem

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] Listener shutdown after memory problem
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:21:54 -0400

Also, after more review, I would note that some of the exception handling
behavior is affected by a catchAll flag/property, which you can put in your
OutOfProcess element (for shibd anyway).

Right now, that affects both individual worker threads and the listener
thread. The "bug/flaw" that I see right now is that I don't catch "standard"
exceptions in the listen loop and handle them. There's only a catch all
handler that's obeying that property, which defaults to false, so that shuts
down the process (usually gracefully, but not always).

I've added a catch(exception&) handler to that loop to handle the "normal"
exceptions that might come up, and leave the process running.

The catchAll flag still affects whether unknown exceptions (e.g. hardware
traps) take down the workers, in which case the process itself crashes.

In general, I don't advise setting it to true, because it masks actual bugs.
I changed this from 1.3. However, this particular memory situation isn't a
bug by itself, and setting that flag would perhaps keep shibd running.

In 2.2, or whatever comes next, it should work more as intended, and protect
the master thread from "recoverable" errors even if catchAll is left off.