shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] SHIB Status call -- 8/11/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9 am PDT

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] SHIB Status call -- 8/11/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9 am PDT

  • From: Peter Williams <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] SHIB Status call -- 8/11/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9 am PDT
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:42:44 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

-- for cases that would traditionally be handled by OpenID, but no

OpenID sites currently support attributes (Scott's OpenID case)

Could you perhaps explain that last part of the claim?

Perhaps the term "attributes" , or the act of "supporting" attributes, has a very special (non-obvious) Shib-community meaning? …one that invokes the Shib “control doctrine”, perhaps?

I can easily show my OpenID provider sending LDAP-style attributes to a Google-branded weblog site; and I can show I consented to that release of a particular subset of my LDAP-style attributes on either a automated or per-use basis. What I cannot show is that some “control authority” (e.g. InCommon) authorized or in any way governs their release, mainly since - in OpenID - I am the only control and governing authority. The notion of a control authority other than me really doesn’t exist, in OpenID doctrine. Of course, nothing stops a given implementation adding inter-domain guard functions that enforce information flow controls.