shibboleth-dev - Memcache StorageService WAS:ODBC Storage Service

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Memcache StorageService WAS:ODBC Storage Service

  • From: André Cruz <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Memcache StorageService WAS:ODBC Storage Service
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:00:02 +0100

This should be in dev.

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 10:45 -0400, Scott Cantor wrote:
> > Anyway I just wanted to see what's being stored, and how, to see if I
> > can do an implementation of a StorageService using memcached.
>
> You'd probably have an easier time following the in-memory plugin.

I've built the first version of the memcache storage service, but I have
a few problems.

Memcache works like a dictionary (at least until the tag support comes
along but even then it may not solve everything), in the sense that
there is only one level of indirection, so the context+key access and
the updateContext/deleteContext operations pose some problems.

I worked arround it by storing an extra structure with each context that
tells me which keys a context has. This is not very efficient but works
well with small contexts.

So I added a switch to the service to enable/disable this auxiliary
structure and was thinking of only enabling it when needed (Ex:
SessionCache). I searched the code and found that only the SessionCache
uses the updateContext and deleteContext funcionality.

The thing is this cache also stores a Logout and NameID contexts that
tend to be big and don't seem to need updateContext and deleteContext
semantics...

Can these contexts be separated, like the MessageFlow and SAMLArtifacts
are, so that I can use different types of storage as well?

Best regards,
André