shibboleth-dev - authentication methods, SAML 1 vs. SAML 2

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

authentication methods, SAML 1 vs. SAML 2

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: authentication methods, SAML 1 vs. SAML 2
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:24:53 +0000

SAML 1 defines some URIs for authentication methods so that the IdP can say how things got done. For example, I've had things set up so that the authentication method reported is:

urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:am:password

The SAML 2 spec defines some new names, and in particular defines a name for roughly the same thing as the above plus a different one for password authentication over TLS:

urn:urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:ac:classes:PasswordProtectedTransport

Now the way the new IdP is built, these names are involved in configuration of the IdP. The result is that you'd normally end up sending that second thing above (or some other SAML 2 name) by default to all SPs, whether you're talking SAML 1 or SAML 2.

I guess that's OK in some sense, but I'm wondering whether there is some mileage in making it possible for the authentication method indicated to SAML 1 SPs to be different from the one indicated to SAML 2 SPs so as to avoid confusing people who are expecting the old name (not that there are a huge number of those, I'm sure).

Any thoughts?

-- Ian