shibboleth-dev - RE: Apache mod & POST filtering

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Apache mod & POST filtering

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Apache mod & POST filtering
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:22:32 -0500

> And, not having found a definitive source of
> documentation, aside from the Apache and APR code itself, we are
> struggling. I do see that mod_shib successfully does this in
> "getRequestBody()", but we seem to be unable to duplicate this -- after
> reading the request, the request body is not passed on.

I don't have any specific reason to believe that calling getRequestBody()
doesn't destructively read the POST. It's used by protocol handlers that are
the destination of the submission. Shibboleth does not attempt to overload
resource requests with SSO messages because SAML isn't designed that way, so
there's never a use case to call it and still expect anything else to see
it. I cache the body inside the shim, of course, so that it can be called
internally, but that's all.

> So, I am wondering if someone could point me to the documentation that
> helped you successfully implement this part of mod_shib.

Jim Fox wrote that code, IIRC. I played with it when I was verifying that
some problems I was having with it were actually Apache bugs and not
something in our code (which I did), but it's pretty much the same as he
wrote it.

When I went looking for docs on it, I only found modules to copy, no real
documentation worth anything.

It seems as though what you're trying to do would be possible using the
bucket API since filters can supposedly intercept and transform content, but
Shibboleth has no use case for that.

If you want a sample, I would probably be looking at stuff that does gzip
decompression or something from the client.