shibboleth-dev - RE: wrt user entry of a pointer to their IDP ..or.. "invisible SSO"

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: wrt user entry of a pointer to their IDP ..or.. "invisible SSO"

  • From: "Josh Howlett" <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: "Josh Howlett" <>
  • Subject: RE: wrt user entry of a pointer to their IDP ..or.. "invisible SSO"
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:30:22 +0100

> I think it makes sense to ask this question: what *exactly*
> are the problems with making every SP responsible for this?
> I'm not saying there aren't problems, but what are they and
> to what extent can they actually be solved for more than a
> particular small group of SPs that one contrives?

I have been told by colleagues in the schools sector that some
categories of user, such as young children, simply aren't capable of
selecting 'their' IdP. Whether the selection UI is located at the SP or
some other WAYF (or indeed as a piece of browser chrome) is moot.

Even for adult users, the answer to the question "which IdP are you
affiliated with" is not always obvious; for example, there are cases
concerning multiple affiliations and the correct answer depends on the
user knowing which IdP has the relevant relationship with the SP for the
resource in question. It gets worse when we ask the question "which
federation is your IdP affiliated with" because the user has no concept
of federation.

josh.

Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, Oxon OX11 0SG